About ENGIE Eps
ENGIE Eps is the technological division of ENGIE which focuses on energy storage systems, microgrids and eMobility, enabling the paradigm shift in the global energy system towards renewable sources and decentralized energy production. Listed in Paris since 2015 on the regulated market, ENGIE Eps has maintained research, development and production in Italy, with a unique team of system engineers.
The transformation of ENGIE Eps
From a spin-off of the Turin Polytechnic destined for bankruptcyFrom a spin-off of the Turin Polytechnic destined for bankruptcy, to one of the largest players in the world in the storage of energy and electric mobility
Under the leadership of the CEO Carlalberto Guglielminotti, since October 2013, the company has completed a complex financial restructuring in record time, and in just over a year, in April 2015, it was listed on Euronext, the regulated market for Paris stock exchange.
From the beginning
From a spin-off of the Turin Polytechnic which was running for bankruptcy, to one of the largest players in the world in energy storage and e-mobility: this is the transformation of the ENGIE EPS Group (formerly Electro Power Systems). With Carlalberto Guglielminotti leading as CEO, the company completed in record time a complex financial restructuring, was listed on the Euronext market in Paris, and acquired by ENGIE.
Guglielminotti, born in 1983 – serial entrepreneur and venture capitalist with a double-degree in law, a specialization in both finance and philosophy, and an MBA – had been entrusted with the task of liquidating the company. However, he still believed in the great potential of the business, although the technology, at the time, had been exclusively dedicated to the telecommunications sector, and made a bet which proved to be successful. He was determined to re-allocate the company’s skills, patent portfolio, to the energy sector. From that moment, the construction of the new company began, and today the ENGIE EPS Group has transformed into a real industrial player at an international level promoting a paradigm shift in the global energy system towards renewable energy sources and electric mobility.
In December 2015, just eight months after the listing, the ENGIE EPS Group launched a capital increase by financing the acquisition of the spin-off of the Milan Polytechnic, completing the company’s technological portfolio. In 5 years, Guglielminotti raised over 100 million euros, including risk capital and bank debt.
In January 2018, ENGIE, a global energy leader present in over 70 countries, acquired a majority stake of Enterprise value of over 108 million euros from the historic shareholders of EPS, and launched the takeover bid on the French stock exchange. Today, 60.5% the ENGIE EPS Group, is controlled by ENGIE and the remaining is listed on the Euronext market in Paris.
Meanwhile, the company continued its development in its 3 main facilities in Italy, installing over 175 MW and approx. 300 MWh of orders and over 2,000 MWh in development, becoming one of the world’s leading players in energy storage systems.
With a unique team of engineers (over 100 people, 15 nationalities, a third with a PhD or MBA), the company has filed 130 patents in 33 countries worldwide with over 500 industrial secrets. The ENGIE EPS’ products are fully developed on the HyESS™ platform, a revolutionary proprietary technology that allows the integration of any renewable source with all energy storage formulas, including EVs. The company has installed storage systems and microgrids in 23 countries and operates on a global scale, supplying energy to over 500,000 people worldwide every day, with the aim of increasing access to sustainable energy with three product lines
Giga Storage Systems
Large energy storage systems for:
- Utility-Scale Storage: stabilizing electricity networks with a high penetration of renewables (storage)
- Utility-Scale Solar-plus-Storage: transforming large photovoltaic installations into a source of energy available during the evening
This is the case of Guam (USA), where the ENGIE Eps Group is developing the largest storage system in the world, for over 300 MWh, which will fully supply all the solar energy produced during the day at night.
For commercial and industrial customers the ENGIE Eps Group develops:
- Industrial microgrids: composed of renewables and storage technologies (microgrids), which generate off-grid energy at costs up to 50% lower than fossil fuels.
Such microgrids have been installed on the island of Giannutri in Italy, together with TERNA, in Tasmania, at the Maldives, in the Comoros islands and in other areas in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Industrial storage systems combined with:
- Manufacturing production plants to guarantee the continuity and power quality of industrial processes
- Conventional thermal power plants, in order to optimize and make energy production more efficient (thermal power plant retrofitting).
The industrial storage systems that the ENGIE Eps Group has installed are for ENEL thermal plants in Spain and ENGIE in Belgium and Italy.
since 2017, the ENGIE EPS Group has developed innovative solutions and technologies for electric vehicles (EV) charging and energy exchange with the grid (V2G), addressed to businesses and residential customers, in particular:
- Charging stations that allow EVs, when parked, to turn into a microgrid and communicate with the electrical grid (V2G), transforming each parking lot – where cars are recharged – into huge sustainable power plants, able to stabilize the national electrical grid at lower costs than conventional thermal generation;
- Special residential charging systems. This is the EasyWallbox™, a patented product that allows EV charging in any place where there is a simple power outlet, without the need to modify the electrical system or call installers. In addition, the EasyWallbox™ ensures the stability of electrical network of your house, as if it were a micro-network, preventing blackouts that typically occur when charging EVs with the regular cables.
Our Mission statement: unlocking the Energy Transition
By mastering the intermittency of renewable energy sources
A clear Vision:
An Energy Company and the world’s reference for a clean energy culture
We are an industrial player operating in the sustainable energy sector, specializing in hybrid-storage solutions and micro-grids
Our Values in three cornerstones
Seeking innovation and sustainability of the energy transition are the main values of the Group. It is expressed in three cornerstones
Reliability for our partners
Proactivity for our customers
Technological excellence in any solution deployed