About ENGIE Eps
ENGIE Eps is the technological division of ENGIE which focuses on energy storage systems, microgrids and eMobility, enabling the paradigm shift in the global energy system towards renewable sources and decentralized energy production. Listed in Paris since 2015 on the regulated market, ENGIE Eps has maintained research, development and production in Italy, with a unique team of system engineers.
The transformation of ENGIE Eps
From a spin-off of the Politecnico di Torino destined for bankruptcy, to one of the largest players in the world in the storage of energy and electric mobility: this is the transformation of ENGIE Eps (formerly Electro Power Systems).
Under the leadership of the CEO Carlalberto Guglielminotti, since October 2013, the company has completed a complex financial restructuring in record time, and in just over a year, in April 2015, it was listed on Euronext, the regulated market for Paris stock exchange.
From the beginning
From a spin-off of the Politecnico di Torino destined for bankruptcy, to one of the largest players in the world in the storage of energy and electric mobility: this is the transformation of ENGIE Eps (formerly Electro Power Systems). Under the leadership of the CEO Carlalberto Guglielminotti, since October 2013, the company has completed a complex financial restructuring in record time, and in just over a year, in April 2015, it was listed on Euronext, the regulated market for Paris stock exchange.
Guglielminotti, born in 1983 – serial entrepreneur and venture capitalist with a double-degree in law, specialization in finance and philosophy and an MBA – who was entrusted with the task of liquidating the Company, believed in the great potential of the business, whose advanced technology hitherto had been directed exclusively to the telecommunications sector. Guglielminotti’s bet – which proved successful – was to re-allocate the company’s skills and patent portfolio to the energy sector. From that moment, the construction of the new company began, and today it is a real industrial player at an international level promoting a paradigm shift in the global energy system towards renewable energy sources and electric mobility. In December 2015, just eight months after the listing, ENGIE Eps launched a capital increase by financing the acquisition of the spin-off of the Politecnico di Milano which would complete the company’s technological portfolio. In 5 years, Guglielminotti has raised over 100 million euros, including risk capital and bank debt. Meanwhile, the company continued its development, with over 175 MW of installed capacity and over 2,000 MWh in development, becoming one of the world’s leading players in microgrids and storage systems.
In January 2018, ENGIE, the global energy leader present in over 70 countries, acquired a majority stake in the Enterprise value of over 108 million euros from the historic shareholders of EPS, and then subsequently launched the takeover bid on the French stock exchange.
Today, ENGIE Eps, 60.5% controlled by the ENGIE Group and still listed on the Euronext market in Paris, has maintained all research and development functions and production activities in Italy.
With a unique team of engineers (over 100 people, 15 nationalities, a third with a PhD or MBA), it has filed 130 patents in 33 countries worldwide and over 500 industrial secrets. ENGIE Eps products are fully developed on the HyESS platform, a revolutionary proprietary technology that allows integrating every renewable source with all energy storage formulas, including electric vehicles. The company has installed storage systems and microgrids in 23 countries and operates on a global scale, supplying energy to over 500,000 people worldwide every day, with the aim of increasing access to sustainable energy with three product lines:
Large energy storage systems (utility scale) for:
- stabilizing electricity networks with a high penetration of renewables (storage)
- transforming large photovoltaic installations into a source of energy available even in the evening (solar plus storage)
This is the case of Guam (USA), where ENGIE Eps is developing the largest storage system in the world, for over 300 MWh, which will fully supply all the solar energy produced during the day at night.
for commercial and industrial customers ENGIE Eps develops:
- microgrids composed of renewables and storage technologies (microgrids), which generate off-grid energy at costs up to 50% lower than fossil fuels.
These microgrids had been installed on the island of Giannutri in Italy, together with TERNA, in Tasmania, at the Maldives, at the Comoros islands and in various locations in sub-Saharan Africa.
- storage systems combined with:
- manufacturing production plants to guarantee the continuity of industrial processes (power quality)
- conventional thermal power plants, in order to optimize and make energy production more efficient (thermal power plant retrofitting).
This is the case of the storage systems installed for ENEL thermal plants in Spain and ENGIE in Belgium and Italy.
Since 2017, ENGIE Eps has developed innovative technologies for charging electric vehicles (EV), in particular:
- charging stations that allow EVs, when parked, to turn into a microgrid and communicate with the electrical grid (Vehicle-to-the-Grid), transforming each parking lot – where cars are recharged – into huge sustainable power plants, able to stabilize the national electrical grid at lower costs than conventional thermal generation;
- special home charging systems. This is the easyWallbox, a patented product that allows charging the electric vehicle in any place where there is a simple power outlet, without the need to modify the electrical system or call installers. In addition, the easyWallbox ensures the stability of the home electrical network, as if it were a micro-network, preventing the blackouts that typically occur when charging the electric vehicle with the regular supplied cable.
Our Mission statement: unlocking the Energy Transition
By mastering the intermittency of renewable energy sources
A clear Vision:
An Energy Company and the world’s reference for a clean energy culture
We are an industrial player operating in the sustainable energy sector, specializing in hybrid-storage solutions and micro-grids
Our Values in three cornerstones
Seeking innovation and sustainability of the energy transition are the main values of the Group. It is expressed in three cornerstones
Reliability for our partners
Proactivity for our customers
Technological excellence in any solution deployed